Christopher M. Photography

The Stories Behind the Photographs

Friday, June 4, 2010

Daddy's Boy


In an ongoing effort to capture images of father's and their child in ways that most are used to seeing mommy and child, I give you this photograph. You see tons and tons of photographs with mommy's holding their baby, and I think it should continue. But, it should be just as well documented that daddy's love their baby as much and mommy does.

Perhaps it is unmanly for daddy to pose in such a vulnerable way as to show love for another person, or maybe photographers have overlooked this bond for too long. While photographing babies, I don't ignore mommy, but I do try to create photos that dad can show off with pride. It gives them the "that's me and my boy," feeling. I love this capture; there is nothing to distract onlookers from the closeness of this father and son.

Thanks for looking. Do you find it odd or refreshing to see daddy's gently holding their son or daughter? I welcome your feedback.

3 comments:

  1. Would like to see more of this dad's face.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Anonymous for the critique. I agree, I would like to have gotten more of his face. This was one of those moments where the child was starting to get restless, and dad looked down to comfort and calm him. If I remember, after this shot, the boy decided we were done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oops Anonymous is me, Amy..lol....Thought i'd add my two cents in, not that it matters. What do I know about photography...besides the fact that you do your job well. Nice photos Chris!

    ReplyDelete